Updated: Nov 2, 2018
Halloween can be a fun time of the year to celebrate all things ghoul and sweet. But it can also be a time of waste, no tricks or treats. Here are 5 ways you can still enjoy the holiday while also giving back to the environment:
1. Vintage, reused, DIY—oh my! Instead of buying a pre-made costume, consider reusing or recycling costumes from previous years or even make your own from things you already have in the house. Better yet, host a costume swap!
2. Get crafty. Decorating is one of the best parts of Halloween but also the most wasteful. Use natural products like pumpkins and gourds to create an autumnal look. Old stockings can become spider webs, cardboard boxes become tombs.
3. Think local. Lower your environmental impact by purchasing locally grown organic pumpkins. Save the seeds for roasting, or use the insides for delicious breads, pies, muffins, soups and other recipes.
4. Try eco-friendly candy. Buy candy made from natural ingredients without artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Also, consider giving out things like pencils, temporary tattoos, or other fun treats to reduce the amount of packaging thrown away.
5. Go re-usable. Send children out with reusable buckets, pillow cases or canvas bags instead of non-recyclable plastic containers.
Visit forgerecycling.co.uk for more eco-friendly recycling tips for Halloween.